The Faces of Our Future


The Faces of Our Future

I realize that quite a few of our new families have not yet had the opportunity to visit our beautiful school and, therefore, haven't seen firsthand the beautiful murals, totem poles, and artwork that enhance the natural beauty of Community's campus. If you haven't yet, please take a virtual tour of our campus

I often wonder about the beautiful artwork and am told wonderful stories about how they came to be. I'd like to share the story behind "The Faces of Our Future" from the artist herself, Emily Stuver, who also happens to be a former CMCS teacher:


Community Magnet Charter School Totem


Fifteen years ago, a call for artists in residence went out; to create an installation of outdoor sculptures called Totem Row for Community Magnet School (not a charter yet).  I jumped at the chance.  As a former CMS 3rd grade teacher on family leave, I knew the school’s mission, philosophy, heart, and soul as well as my own.  In fact, in many ways, they were one and the same.  Also, as a ceramic sculptor, this project called me.  I knew immediately what I wanted to create.  My favorite part of working at Community was being surrounded by kids from all over Los Angeles, from many different backgrounds, religions, races, cultures. I loved how the initial dream of the school’s founders, parents who wanted their kids to play together and go to school together, despite racial differences, came to be the reality for Community. I wanted to show how normal and right it felt to be there in this mix.  We all know that racism is a learned behavior and how when that lesson isn’t part of the system when it is specifically and explicitly challenged, the results are very special. I wanted to show the students, their beautiful faces, to the world and freeze their childhood form in time.  At the same time, I wanted to show them looking forward to a future where they would be the adults who will take the expectations of diversity, multiculturalism, respect, and pride for themselves and others with them.  


The students and I went to work.  They were called in 6 at a time and paired up.  I walked them through the process of plaster casting a face, with mindful meditation techniques to stay calm, straws in the nose to breathe, vaseline to keep from sticking, and emphasized calm reassuring voices to talk their partners through the experience.  Students were given paper and pencil to communicate with their partners when covered with plaster gauze strips. I was thrilled that almost all the 5th graders chose to take part, they were such risk-takers! They were amazingly calm, loving, and careful with each other. The few who didn’t want to cover their face had their hands cast instead.  Once I had the plaster masks, I reinforced them with plaster. Purposefully, I did not know to whom each mask belonged nor did the students.  This was important to me because I wanted to randomize the clay pigments. I wanted the natural colors of clay to be the pigments for the students because they are as varied as the children themselves.  However, I didn’t want to assign which clay went with which face, because I wanted individual features to define, not color. This way, when I had the kids push the clay into the masks, they did not know which of their classmates they were making until after it popped out from the plaster cast.  Everyone loves a good reveal!


I chose redwood planks to build the “pole.”  I wanted something that symbolized strength, stood tall, and would be able to withstand adversity. I remember using a drill for the first time in my life.  I remember problem-solving as I went; how to attach the faces, how to find a kiln, how to build the pole, how to keep creatures from getting stuck inside, how to keep it from deteriorating with time… I remember thanking my lucky stars that my mother in law could come down from the Bay Area to help me take care of my two-year-old son, for having a wonderful principal who found me parent volunteers and reassured me that we could figure anything out, for the Ergo carrier sling for the times I did have my son with me while working on this project and for having the chance to make “real” art. I remember telling the students that they would always be able to come back to their school to see their 5th-grade face.


This winter, I had the chance to reflect and revisit, “The Faces of Our Future.”  I appreciate being invited by Toni Klugh to help maintain the sculpture.  I had hoped that it would stand tall and the faces would stay put forever.  I guess, to my 15 years ago self, 15 years WAS forever.  5 faces had fallen and needed to be reattached.  All but 2 faces are still there, those were unfortunately lost sometime between then and now. I’m sorry I have to break my promise to those two kids. The redwood planks have held up pretty well, a little worse for wear, like me but still standing tall.  I thought about the kids as I reattached their masks.  They must be 26 or 27 years old now and being those future adults I had envisioned at the start of this whole project.  I thought about how my teeny son was in the carrier on my back as I put this piece together compared with the wonderfully kind 6 ft 2 in, 17-year-old getting ready for his own future and brother to a 13-year-old sister who yields a drill like nobody’s business.  I thought about the implicit bias, racism, and unfairness I have seen in different schools through these 15 years, as well as so many heart-stopping moments of hope and joy. I thought about the pedagogy, love, earnest intentions for a more socially just world that I and all the teachers at Community had tried to squeeze into each experience we had with our students.  I sent a wish out to the universe, holding those faces in my hand, feeling the strength I’ve always felt in clay, that those intentions, lessons, and mostly, that love, did the trick, that these kids and all the others who have come through Community are making a better today and tomorrow.  

                                                                                                            ❤Emily


Thank you, Emily, for such a beautiful contribution to CMCS and your continued dedication to our school community!




Save the date and stay tuned for more details coming soon!

CFF All-Member Meeting  

Please attend the CFF All-Member meeting this Friday, 2/5/21  at 5 pm. The zoom link can be found in the Fresh Schools calendar. 

There will be a welcome from our CFF President, Treasurer Report, Grade Level Updates, Principal Updates, Upcoming Election Information and Announcements. 


Distribution Days are Coming!

Here is the schedule.


                Check next Sunday's evening email for more details.

  School Experience Survey . . .

It's one of the easiest ways parents can make a positive change in our school community.

The deadline to complete this year's School Experience Survey is Friday, February 5th. Please make time to complete it: 

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5755070/2020-21-School-Experience-Survey-Parents-and-Guardians-of-Students


Don't forget to nominate a deserving staff member for the Staff Spotlight: https://forms.gle/ELDj97UM27VF9AoX9






Comments

  1. I absolutely love what Emily wrote! So beautiful and touching. Thank you for taking the time to share these insights. I dearly miss seeing our wonderful students, parents, teachers and staff in person and our magnificent campus -- but I feel lucky that our family gets to be part of this amazing community regardless. - Rachel Waranch (mom to Zeke and Lilah Feuerstein)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED learning this beautiful history, thank you for this! Peace & Blessings, Lynda ( Mom to ChloƩ Andrews, 5th)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thank you for the full story on the beautiful totems. I'm so glad this history is being passed on with such rich detail for everyone to enjoy. We'll talk to our son (Grade 1) about it so he can continue the thread as he grows. CMCS is amazing in how it supports and grows young learners.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back-to-School Night

IMPORTANT NEWS REGARDING THE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM