My One Word for 2020






Happy New Year!!  So, I've finally caught on to Jon Gordon's One Word movement . . . instead of re-writing the same list of resolutions that I do every year, I've selected One Word that will be my driving force for the year. This One Word will focus on all six dimensions of my life: mental, physical, emotional, relational, spiritual, and financial. I went back and forth about which word to choose- reflect . . . accept . . . embrace . . . balance? 

Finally, I settled on what seems to be the perfect word to guide My 2020 . . .

              ENGAGE

Why engage? Well, in reflecting on these last few months as a new principal, I have felt the pressure to work hard and prove myself as a good leader. I've been careful not to miss any deadlines, stay on top of the paperwork, and respond to every email. I feel like I've been putting the rest of my life on hold and running on auto-pilot. I don't know how many times I've cancelled dinner dates to spend a little more time getting work done. I haven't exercised in months and have reignited my hot and heavy love affair with CANDY. I get home either too tired to have a meaningful conversation or bring more work home to occupy my time. I didn't even realize it because I love doing it! But, spending the last three weeks with my family, friends, and myself has made me realize this need to re-engage and become a whole person again! At school, I will take advantage of opportunities to engage more with kids, staff members, and parents rather than spending so much time on paperwork in the office. There are so many interesting people that I'd love to know more about, so many curious kids with such thoughtful ideas that I want to hear about. In my personal life, I will stop using work as an excuse for cancelling lunch and dinner dates and skipping workouts. I will return to favorite pastimes, like reading, going out, and simply interacting with my friends and family. While I will always work hard, I think my focus on engaging will help me to work smarter as well. So, if you catch me in my office staring at the computer screen or paperwork, just come in and say . . . Toni, take some time to ENGAGE!!  And please, if you have ONE WORD for 2020, please engage me (😉) in a discussion about your word and why it's the best word to guide your 2020.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and have a great week!

Best,
Toni

Dine & Donate this week!


Important reminders for the week ahead . . .
  • Early dismissal (1:30) every Tuesday
  • School closed next Monday, January 20 in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back-to-School Night

IMPORTANT NEWS REGARDING THE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM