MLK, Kids Heart Challenge, and My One Word Progress










See the source image








Good evening Community Families and Staff,

Dr. King's words ring true even today -- especially today. We must work together to teach our children the value of diversity and model the courage to stand up for those who have not yet found a voice.

Happy Birthday, Dr. King!


Kids Heart Challenge
Community is getting ready to kick off the Kids Heart Challenge with the American Heart Association to start a healthy 2020!  This community service program teaches our students how to have HAPPY and HEALTHY hearts, challenging them to make a health pledge online (to MOVE MORE, BE KIND, and BE READY for school each day) and encouraging students to raise lifesaving donations to help fund CPR trainings and critical research to help local families with special hearts. 



You can get a jump start by registering online today! Download the FREE App called Kids Heart Challenge, or visit www2.heart.org/goto/community to get started.  Just for taking the challenge, your child will earn the FREE Kids Heart Challenge wristband – which we want everyone in the school to have! 






Assembly Kickoff: January 24th

Event Celebration: February 14th  

School Goal: $10,000 in lifesaving donations!

  • The top 3 classes with the most students registered online will get a Lunchtime Dance Party!
  • If we hit our school goal, the top student in each class will get to silly string Principal Klugh!

My One Word
It's been a very exciting and busy first week back! There is a new project (hopefully) in the works that will benefit the entire Community, the Sweetheart Dance is right around the corner, we're joining with the American Heart Association to teach healthy habits for healthy hearts, we're moving forward with RULER and technology integration, teachers are preparing to vote on next year's NGSS-aligned Science textbook, SBAC testing is coming soon, the budget process is coming sooner, and fifth graders are preparing for Middle School. It's going to be a very busy semester.

Which brings me to my One Word:  engage.

As I explained last week, my One Word will focus on the six dimensions of my life: mental, physical, emotional, relational, spiritual, and financial. Last week, I focused on engaging the relational, physical, and emotional dimensions.
  •  Last year, a group of my friends and I began meeting for dinner once a month. Well, that's so much harder to do now that I'm no longer working in the valley. I think I must've cancelled dinner with them at least 3 times last semester, mainly because of the rush-hour traffic to the valley. But, I did it and it was really great to see them!  
  • There are two teachers that have inspired me because they are so fit and they actually LOVE working out! Their secret? PILATES! So, a couple of my friends enrolled me in a Pilates class this weekend and I loved it, too! My joints and muscles felt so stiff and achy that I was nervous about the workout. But afterwards, I felt relaxed and energized at the same time. I'm signing up to take three classes a week!!  So, here's a shout out to the two teachers, Fanahi and Tracy Ross, for inspiring me to engage my body in a great new exercise routine! 
  • love Community, but I admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed and frustrated last week. Fortunately for me, I am surrounded by happy, stable, and supportive children and adults who make me laugh every day. They helped me keep things in perspective.
 For next week, I'm looking for a great meditation / mindfulness app. If you've used a great one, please share!



Dine and Donate
Thank you to all families who dined at Burger Lounge on Thursday to support Community! We'll find out soon how much we raised.

Coming Events
Thursday, January 23, 11:30 - Above & Beyond Club 
Friday, January 24 - Kids Heart Challenge Kick-Off
Monday, January 27, 1:45 - Council Meeting
Thursday, January 30 - Safety Drill and 1st  5th Grade field trips
Friday, January 31 - Tea Time with Toni - Heart Challenge

Looking forward to a great week!

Best,
Toni







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back-to-School Night

IMPORTANT NEWS REGARDING THE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM