Countdown to the New Year

The week before school starts is one of the busiest at Community Magnet!

Maria and Kryshawna in the office have been busy enrolling new families, updating information in our computer systems, and preparing class rosters for teachers.  Alice and Xantipa have been filling teacher supply requests, preparing for Parent Orientation, and updating our display case at the front of the school. Kathryn has been in close communication with the LAUSD Transportation Office, preparing lists and nametags, and fielding questions and concerns from parents about bus routes. This year, bus transportation will be as smooth as ever because Kathryn has it handled!! Among other things, Phyllis has been attending meetings, adding families from the waitlist, and training our teachers on our new social-emotional program, RULER. Andrew and Rick have been deep cleaning classrooms, sweeping away spider webs, getting things repaired around campus, and making sure everything is up and running for our teachers and students.

CFF has been so helpful as I transition into my new role as principal. Karika has been giving valuable input into securing additional after-school care, Stefania planned and supervised a very successful Parent Orientation, and Dorian and Amy have provided a donation check so that we could purchase much-needed supplies.

Teachers have been on campus all month preparing their classrooms, attending professional development, and getting to know their new students and parents at Parent Orientation. Every single one of our teachers is so excited to have every single one of your children in their classrooms this year!


I thank them all for being so open, kind, and welcoming as I learn my way around CMCS!


And, by the way, just in case you've been wondering what Back-to-School gifts to give your fabulous teachers, here are the TOP 5 GIFTS on every teacher's (and principal's) wish list: 

positivity, support, understanding, trust, and partnership. 

They truly deserve it and will most definitely appreciate it!

So, you may be asking, "What has the new principal been doing?" I'll admit that most of the time,   I have been having fun! I've been exploring this beautiful campus, getting to know the school community, and making new friends in the local district. I've attended two principal meetings as well as the Superintendent's Address. I've led teachers in two days of professional development as we looked at student performance data and began setting goals for this year. We also learned about the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Standards and planned for teaching Digital Citizenship lessons in every class. I've been planning, meeting with lots of people, solving problems, making schedules . . .  No matter what I'm doing, I always feel very fortunate to be your principal.

Now, I am looking forward to an even busier week ahead! All staff returns to campus today for staff meetings and final planning and preparations for the first day of school. I'm so excited to welcome our students back to school. On the first day, I'll be meeting the buses as they arrive on campus and visiting every classroom to introduce myself. On Wednesday, Phyllis and I will review school expectations with the students. We'll practice our first safety drill of the year on Thursday. And on Friday, I will host my first Morning Assembly immediately followed by "Teatime with Toni" in Room 1. I'd like to share our school data and technology plan and get your thoughts on ways you can help us meet our goals this year. I hope you will be available to attend.

Welcome back, everyone! We're in for a great year!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back-to-School Night

IMPORTANT NEWS REGARDING THE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM